OTHER NEWS





Keep you and your children safe. Find the latest Product Recalls here.




BEWARE OF THE DEADLY TOXINS IN YOUR HOME - What you don't know about many common household products

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Letters from Stephen Grant hitting on Jennifer Kukla

Jurors heard the angry, profanity-laced voicemails Stephen Grant left his wife to bolster his story that she'd left him, but now the rest of the world gets to hear them, too.

The Macomb County Prosecutor's Office, responding to Freedom of Information Act requests filed by news media, released eight voicemails they found on Tara Grant's cell phone in the two days after she'd supposedly disappeared.

The first came at 2 a.m., when, by Grant's own admission, his wife's dead body was in the back of her SUV in the couple’s Washington Township garage.

"It’s quarter after two,” he says in the first message. “I just want to know what the (expletive)'s going on. Um, I think you owe me and your kids at least - at the very least a (unintelligible). Um, call me. ... Just call and let me know what the hell's going on.”

The messages get increasingly irate. Grant called his dead wife's cell phone seven times on Feb. 10 - the day after he killed her - and once on Feb. 11. In that last message, he says: “Um, this is nonsense, Tara. You owe me a phone call. You owe me to let me know what the (expletive) is going on between us.”

The prosecutor's office also released racy notes Grant wrote to another convicted killer, Jennifer Kukla, while the two both were housed in the Macomb County Jail. Kukla turned those notes over to authorities in November. In them, he suggests a "rendezvous" in a jail closet and gloats about his media notoriety.

These letters written by convicted murderer Stephen Grant to convicted child killer Jennifer Kukla and other inmates shows a man full of swagger at his celebrity status and his ability to entice women.

Both convicted murderers were incarcerated in the Macomb County Jail when the letters were written from June to October 2007. When authorities found out about the letters, Detectives Mark Grammatico and Jason Abro interviewed Kukla in the Huron Valley Correctional Facility in Ypsilanti, where she is serving a life's sentence for fatally stabbing her two young children. She told them the letters were exchanged underneath trays in the jail's cafeteria.

• "I figure that you might like someone you can just 'talk' to. Because of the publicity surrounding both of our cases, it's not like either of us is going to give our letters to the news media. ... At least I hope not. (Smiley face.)"

In one of the letters, Grant flirted with Kukla, and said he wanted to meet her in a closet.

In letter dated June 3, 2007, Grant wrote, "I am here (in jail) charged with murdering my wife. Ask the other ladies if they know 'Steve Grant.' They probably do."

In another undated letter, Grant wrote: "I figured that, because of the news coverage of my case, you would know all about me ... I'm 37, brown curly hair, 6'1 ... by the way, I don't normally have 'those' eyes, they just used the same picture over and over on TV." He ended the sentence with a smiley face.

Grant also explained, "the reason it's safe for me (in jail) is the notoriety of my case. I have been told that I am the sheriff's re-election priority. Also, every time that I am in court, the TV cameras are ALL there, and if I have a black eye, it will be on CNN."

No comments: